Different Methods to Create Webpages
1. Write Plain HTML using Text or HTML Editor
2. Use a Website tool such as WYSWYG (What you see, what you get).
if you are non technical, it may look easy to use in begining. It is right choice if you just ned 1 website with few pages. The disadvantage is you have to pay monthly fee to website tool company.
3. Build ASPX Website and Web Pages. The advanatge is you can build a master file and put common header, footer in master file. You can also build control and include control in pages.
If your website present data, you can do programming to fetch data from website.
Advantage of using ASPX is - you get flexibility to show text content, data content. The disadvantage is you need to know programming or hire someone who can do it for you. ASPX Pages only run on Windows based hosting.
If you show data in your website, webpage will go to database and gfetch data for display. If you are showing list of places to see in Hawaii and this data does not change often, why to go to database for every user visit. You can cache your aspx page. Once you cache, the system will store static page on server and simply display that.
It will improve system performance and hence page ranking of your page. It will also reduce load on your db server and reduce your bill of hosting.
If your page uses main content area and couple of controls showing different data. The requirement for data freshness might be different for these controls. You can cache each control and specify different expiry time.
This way your user will get uptodata data and your system performance will be optimal.
4. Build PHP Website. It has simila advatnatge as ASPX site. You can put common header, footer in templates. You can also use templates to making control to display content.
Advantage is PHP language is more flexible. PHP runs on Linux and Windows both. Linux hosting is cheaper compared to Windows hosting. Compared to Windows, Linux server are attacked more by hackers.
You can build a HTML sites directly using HTML, Website tool or in form of ASPX or PHP pages.
Here is advanace stuff if you need to build multiple websites, pages.
5. You can create ASPX or PHP Pages and take advantage of all benefits mentioned above. Your local development/testing environment have ASPX or PHP pages. Finally you can save /cache these ASPX or PHP pages as static HTML. Upload these static HTML pages in your Production web server.
With this approach your user see clean HTML and faster performance. You handle all complexity of database in dev /test environment.
It means you have less security concern in production enviornment. It means your Production enviroment is faster and it cost less.
The deployment to Production becomes simpler as you simply will be copying/ftping HTML files.
You can automate generation of HTML pages and copy to PROD Server.
6. You can take above step further - create page with lot of parameters. Depending upon parameters output is different e.g placestosee.aspx?country=USA, placestosee.aspx?state=Colorado, placestosee.aspx?city=Denver
You can generate html pages from it placestosee-in-USA.htm, placestosee-in-coloraro.htm, placestosee-in-Denver.htm
Using this method your development enviormnent has 1 Page with few parameters. Your production enviornment get thousands of pages. The maintability become easier. If you need to add a control that sells tickets (Tickets to USA, Tickets to Colorado, Ticket to Denver) it only need to be done at one place.
All of your production pages will get generated automatically.
In above section you read techniques of generating thousands of pages without maintaing thousands of pages. The above technique is about fetching data from database server and showing based on parameter passed and finally saving the HTML file.
Many times you have set of files in a folder. Wont it be nice that you have a folder USA, subfolder Colorado and another subfolder Denver inside Colorado. You should be able to copy files and pictures in respective folder.
Automatically you should get placestosee/USA, placestosee/USA/Colorado/ placestosee/USA/Colorado/Denver/. You can generate these too.